Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Traditional Chex Party Mix


Good day to everyone! I hope your day is off to a Great start!

I would like to share with all of you today my family's version of this popular snack mix. This particular recipe that I have is from the 1970's and I do believe that is was the first version of this recipe. Nowadays you can find many different ones, but this is the one that my family will eat, if I try a newer, updated one, they don't like it. I will be making some of this soon to give to one of my husband's co-workers, she always requests a sack of this every year!

Traditional Chex Party Mix

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
6 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 2/3 cups Rice Chex cereal (I use Cheerios)
2 2/3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
2 2/3 cups Corn Chex cereal
2 2/3 cups Pretzel sticks (my family addition)
1 cup salted mixed nuts (I use two cups) **see note at end**

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat butter in large shallow roasting pan (about 15 x 10 x 2-inches) in oven until melted. Remove. Stir in seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce. Add cereal, pretzel sticks and nuts. Mix until all pieces are coated. Heat in oven 1 hour, stir every 15 minutes. Spread on absorbent paper to cool (I skip this part and just let it cool in the pan, less mess this way). Makes approximately 9 cups of mix.

** I use a 16 oz container of Planter's cocktail peanuts when I make this OR a container of cashews. They seem to be the most favorite two nuts, so that is what I use when I make this.**

Helpful Measurements:

one 14 oz. box of Cheerios makes 5 single batches
one 14 oz. box of Corn Chex makes 5 single batches
one 12.8 oz. box of Rice Chex makes 5 single batches

Thanks for stopping by and I LOVE to hear your comments!! Have a crafty day.....Mary

1 comment:

Chanda said...

I bet they like the old one better because it has lots of yummy salty stuff! The stuff these days just isn't as tasty, I agree! Sounds yummy! :)