Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

High-Humidity Cake Icing

Here is the recipe for the cake icing that I use. This icing will hold up even in 100 degree temperatures! It does not melt.

High-Humidity Icing

1 1/2 cups Crisco
1/4 cup Dream Whip, dry (I just go ahead and use the whole envelope)
1/3 cup flour, sifted

Cream the above all together. Than add alternately;

2 pounds powdered sugar
2/3 cup milk (I have always used water)

Blend well after all has been added; then add

1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (can find this at Michael's)
1 teaspoon clear butter flavoring (also at Michael's)

Blend in extract/flavoring. Now you are ready to ice your cake!

Tint as needed. Refrigerate any leftover icing. Icing on the cake does not need to be refrigerated.

Yields: 6 to 7 cups of icing

You will not be able to taste the flour.

My girls always were happy when there was leftover icing, as I would spread it on vanilla wafers or graham crackers for them, heck even the big kid in the house liked it this way too!

4 comments:

Chanda said...

Wow! That IS some super duper icing if it can hold up to 100 degrees! I'll have to try this one day. Thanks!

Mary said...

I took it to a picnic one year and man it was hotter than sin, and that cake stayed perfect! But most important, it still tasted really good.

Gabypa said...

thanks for the recipe,I live in Panama and we don't have Dream Whip, do you know of a substitute or do you think that it could be substitued with powdered gelatined disolved in water?

Mary said...

Gabypa, I'm not sure. I know Dream Whip has powdered milk in it, that may be the secret, but I'm not sure. I don't have a box in the house, so I can't look to see if it has gelatined in it or not, sorry.