Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Marinara Sauce

Today I'm going to share a recipe that I received from a friend, her son was a classmate of one of my daughters' in grade school. She was talking one day about the Marinara Sauce that her mother taught her to make, so I asked if she would share it with me. We have really enjoyed it thru the years and it has become a Lenten staple.

Marinara Sauce

1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (6 oz each) tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dry basil leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
Oregano optional to taste, I'm not a big oregano fan, so I omit this

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Add the diced tomato and juice, tomato paste and water, stirring until combined. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, than lower the heat to a simmer; simmer for one hour. Serve over one pound of cooked hot pasta.

For a vegetarian sauce, add 3 or 4 cut-up zucchini, squash or other vegetables.
For a meat sauce, add one pound of cooked, drained Italian sausage or hamburger.

Serve with a salad and garlic bread.

1 comment:

Chanda said...

Yummmmmmy! I could even eat that on my diet if I use sugar substitute!