Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Applesauce Bars


Hi everyone! Hope your day is off to a great start! I've got my dinner cooking away in the crock-pot and I mixed up some Applesauce Bars for my husband to take to work tomorrow for goodie day, they are celebrating the promotion of two co-workers! These bars a very easy to put together and are very moist. My husband prefers that the bars to be refrigerated but I like them room temperature (I like the cream cheese icing to be soft). You can add nuts or leave them out, they taste great either way.
Applesauce Bars
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup nuts, chopped your favorite
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten slightly
2 cups applesauce, I use the sweetened kind
1 cup vegetable oil
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir in eggs, applesauce, oil and nuts, until well blended. Spread batter into an ungreased 15" x 10" x 1" cookie/baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool. Frost.
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 - 3 oz. packages cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 pound box of powdered sugar
Cream together the cream cheese and butter; add vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar until all added and well blended and a spreading consistency. Frost bars. Optional, sprinkle frosted bars with more chopped nuts.
These taste better is made the day before serving.
Hope you give these a try, they are oh so good! Mary






5 comments:

Helen said...

This looks yummy! and seem easy enough to make. I am the opposite of my paper craft when it came for cooking but your ingredients and directions are easy to follow. Thanks for sharing.

Chanda said...

Mmmmmm....looks yummy and moist!

Julie said...

This sounds great. Is there a total of 3 1/2 cups of flour?

Julie said...

I plan to try this very soon.

Mary said...

thank you Julia for picking up my mistake on the flour. No it is 2 cups flour and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. I've corrected the blog post to make the measurements correct.