Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ham Bone Soup


I think that I promise to post this recipe awhile ago on this post here:http://maryscraftroom.blogspot.com/2010/05/tangy-buttermilk-cheese-bread.html. Now that some of you are enjoying cooler weather in your part of the country (not here yet, yesterday is was 90 degrees), I thought you might like a good soup recipe. Why is it that we think we can only eat soup when it is cold outside? Haven't figured that one out yet. Anyway, I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and have enjoyed it for a couple of years now. Hope you all will like it too, and I serve this with cornbread or the Tangy Buttermilk Cheese Bread, YUMMY!!!



Ham Bone Soup



1 ham bone with some meat left on it

1/2 medium onion, diced

1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice

1 (15.25 oz.) can kidney beans, I rinse mine

3 potatoes, cubed I use medium to large one, depends on how much you want in it

1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed, I don't add this so I'll put...optional

4 cups water *

6 cubes chicken bouillon *



Place the ham bone, onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, potatoes and green pepper into a 3 quart or larger slow cooker. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in water, and pour into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours.



* Now I get lazy sometimes and use chicken broth either in the can or those cardboard box thingys, I just make sure that it equals to what the recipe calls for, which is 4 cups and it works great for me. If I'm home on the day that I make this, I put everything in a large soup pot and let it simmer for an hour after it comes to a boil. After an hour, I pull the ham bone out and pull the ham off the bone and put the chopped ham back into the pot and simmer until we are ready to eat, maybe an hour more. I also add 1/2 to 1 cup celery, chopped, 1 cup carrots sliced, and a can of green beans, drained and some chopped garlic, about one teaspoon.



If you don't like kidney beans, use ones that you like, I've use butter beans before and it was just as tasty. Oh, and I have made this with honey baked ham and it doesn't make it sweet at all.

Wishing you all a great week ahead.....Mary

1 comment:

Chanda said...

That sounds good, actually! It's only about 50 degrees here today! I've never been a ham and bean fan,but yours sounds so good because it's not as starchy from all the beans and bean juice. I like that you've added tomatoes! Sounds yummy!