Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Cincinnati Chili

Top picture is the chili plain, the bottom picture is the chili with chopped onions and shredded Cheddar cheese sprinkle on top....YUM!! Serves four adults


Well with cooler weather soon approaching, I thought a good chili recipe was in order. I've been making this chili for about 15 years now. I found the recipe in a cookbooklet (you know, the ones by the check-out lane at the grocery store) called Fast and Healthy. The original recipe calls for ground turkey but hubby veto that ingredient ages ago, so I use lean ground beef instead. I don't know if they serve chili like this in Cincinnati, but we sure do enjoy it. It is not a overly spicy chili but you could easily make it more spicy by adding more cayenne pepper to it.

Cincinnati Chili

8 ounce uncooked spaghetti
1 teaspoon oil, only use this is using ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground turkey breast, I use 93% lean ground beef
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 - 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Heat oil in large nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in ground turkey breast; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add all remaining ingredients except kidney beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 to 30 minutes. Add kidney beans; simmer until thoroughly heated. While this is simmering, cook spaghetti to desired doneness, as directed on package. Drain.
To serve, spoon spaghetti into 4 individual soup bowls or unto plates. Ladle chili over spaghetti.

When I serve this I offer chopped onions and shredded Cheddar cheese to put on top of the chili.

When I brown the ground beef, I add my chopped onions at the same time and omit the oil.

Hmmm...this is making my mouth water, now I need to go make some....talk to you later....Mary

1 comment:

Chanda said...

This sounds really good! I've never had it over noodles, but it sure sounds yummy, especially on a cold and rainy midwest day! I'm actually looking forward to the cooler weather so I can make things like this! TYFS!