Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pioneer Beans

Oh today we had some snow, about 5 inches. Before I went to work this morning I put the fixin's for this soup in the crock-pot (love my crock-pot). Actually I put some of it togther last night, sliced the green onions and the sausage up to make it super easy in the morning for me. As you can see I served it with corn bread. After working our driveway and sidewalks over with the snow blower and shovel, we went around the corner to our friend's house and did theirs' for them (she is pregnant and her hubby is out of town today). It must have been good, hubby had two bowls and three slices of cornbread too!! Still have plenty for another meal or two.

I found this recipe in a magazine back in the early 1980's. It is a recipe from Tabasco, so naturally there is Tabasco in the recipe.

Pioneer Beans

1 pound dried lima bean, I like to use small navy beans when I make it
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced, I use Eckridge sausage
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 beef bouillon cubes
3/4 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce **
6 cups water

Place all ingredients in a crock-pot. Mix well. Cover and cook on High for 8 to 10 hours. Serves 4 to 6.

Now today when I made this I accidentally put it on Low instead and didn't realize it until I came home from work (about 4 hours later). I bumped it up to High for a couple of hours, tried the beans and they were soft, so I put it back down to Low until we were ready to eat. I really think it would have been OK on Low all day.

**Now this does have alittle bit of a kick to it, if you don't want that, your could add less Tabasco sauce. If you want it more spicy, than add more.

You could easily make half of this recipe.

Well off to see some other blogs, hope you all stay warm and cozy........Mary

1 comment:

Chanda said...

Sounds warm and cozy! How nice of you and your hubby to do the neighbor's drive. I was kind of hoping my neighbor would do mine, since my husband is out of town, but I'm not pregnant, so no dice, LOL! I got it done though. Wasn't bad as the wind was down and the sun was shining. I'm having my food group over this Saturday for Comfort Classics. Too bad you don't live close or you and your bean soup could come! :)