Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Best-Ever Banana Bread


I found this recipe in a magazine clear back in the late 1970's. At first I was not going to clip the recipe out because it calls for only a quarter cup of buttermilk, and I really didn't know what the buttermilk would do for the bread taste wise. Well let's just say that I'm ever so glad that I did clip it out because it is one of my most requested recipes ever!! You can make it in advance and this bread freezes very well. I hope you enjoy it as much as my friends and family do! One Christmas baking season I made twelve loaves of this to give out to friends and neighbors and of course one for home too.

This recipe makes one loaf and the directions say DO NOT DOUBLE RECIPE...so I haven't, why mess it up!

Best-Ever Banana Bread

2 ripe medium bananas, mashed up**
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat ovent ot 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake until top is golden brown and splits slightly, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

DO NO DOUBLE RECIPE.

** ripe bananas will have a yellow skin with lots of brown spots, the kind that most people will throw out, but those are the ones that have the most flavor. I try to use bananas that are still some what firm but you can use a slightly soft ones in a pinch.

* you can now find little containers of buttermilk that are half pint or pint, around 1 cup size in the groceries now, so you will not waste as much buttermilk or you could even use the extra buttermilk to make Tangy Buttermilk Cheesy Bread in a bread machine...hmm, maybe I'll post that recipe tomorrow, it is so good with soup!

1 comment:

Chanda said...

Yummmmmy, that sounds goooood!